About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little piece of the cyberworld. I am an Amateur Extra Class ham radio operator from Kentucky. In addition to ham radio, other interests include paddling kayaks and canoes, camping, flyfishing, shooting and photography...I am a major Jimmy Buffett fan (fans are known as Parrotheads). But, location, work and finances sort of got in the way of being a beach bum as a career. I am also an animal lover and have several pets. I also have a Facebook page at steve.kj4kki.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Springtime...time to snag some 6m and DX

Well, spring has sprung... Time to get on the radio and see who is out there. I have somehow managed to talk to W1AW 3 times in 3 days. I've never talked to the ARRL station before. I got some new countries recently. I'm gradually making my way through the Caribbean countries. For a while, I wondered if I was ever going to get anything except Europe. Now, it seems like the RF Gods are directing me south, toward sunny, warm waters and into South America. For that, I am grateful. Now, if I just could snag that one state that is preventing me from getting my WAS.

I got the Small Antennas for Small Spaces book, by ARRL. Delay renewing your membership, and they get generous! Plus, I downloaded the issues I missed to my computer, so the only thing is just no hard copy issues laying around. I only casually read some of it last night and today, but it looks like it has some really good information.

I've been cruising through the 6m band, but haven't heard anybody. I thought I heard something today, but it was so weak that I couldn't be certain it was actually people. With a Par OA-50, fed with RG-8X at about 20 feet, I don't expect to get around the world. But, ya do what ya gotta do. I will say that when 6m opens up, I've gotten south Texas and south Florida with s-9 reports.

I have mentioned this before, but I use Par EndFedz antennas for /P. They are now made by LNR Precision. Combined with a Jackite telescoping pole at 31 feet, they do extremely well. They are a bit pricey, but they can be put up in several configurations, and once you cut them for SWR, they perform great.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Good luck with your radio adventures.


No comments:

Post a Comment