About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little piece of the cyberworld. I am an Amateur Extra Class ham radio operator from Kentucky. In addition to ham radio, other interests include paddling kayaks and canoes, camping, flyfishing, shooting and photography...I am a major Jimmy Buffett fan (fans are known as Parrotheads). But, location, work and finances sort of got in the way of being a beach bum as a career. I am also an animal lover and have several pets. I also have a Facebook page at steve.kj4kki.

Monday, December 5, 2011

QSL Cards Almost Caught Up!

After procrastinating for a long time, I've almost got my last batch of QSL cards ready to mail.  I have somewhere between 20-30 stateside cards to mail.  All the overseas cards went out about 2 weeks ago, and I got one from France at the end of last week.  I'm expecting cards from several other countries in that part of Europe, as well as from Mexico, as well as one more hardcopy card from the ILLW event.  At least I hope so, considering the amount of postage I spent money on...

Back in the summer, I sent one guy an IRC and SAE.  I won't name him by name.  I never got a card back from him, and he didn't email me.  Later, I discovered that he only does Buro.  If somebody accident sends me a card, not knowing that, and I only do Buro, I'd feel an obligation to make an exception and take that IRC to the post office and send the person a card.  At the very least, I'd email that person and explain.  Anyway, to get the country, I guess I'll either have to pay $2 and send one card to the Buro, or not get the card from Italy (if that were the country).  That's my gripe for the day.

I suppose I'll start sending cards via the Buro, but I'd like to get my foreign DX cards built up a bit.  I have had good luck with Canada.  With one reminder letter, I've had 100% so far.  eQSL cards are another story. I can't get my printer to not cut the edges off.  So, I usually end up sending a card to them anyway.  I have noticed that nobody ever sends me a card first.  Wonder why that is?

The last thought for the day:  The Bureau is referred to as the Burro as it is slow.  However, it is usually spelled Buro.  Any ideas why?

Merry Christmas!
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment