About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little piece of the cyberworld. I am an Amateur Extra Class ham radio operator from Kentucky. In addition to ham radio, other interests include paddling kayaks and canoes, camping, flyfishing, shooting and photography...I am a major Jimmy Buffett fan (fans are known as Parrotheads). But, location, work and finances sort of got in the way of being a beach bum as a career. I am also an animal lover and have several pets. I also have a Facebook page at steve.kj4kki.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

I'm Trying Out QRP SSB

Previously, like most of you I suppose, I had been using 100 watts for QSOs.  Hopefully, this year, I'll be able to afford a truly portable radio, instead of disconnecting all the cables from my FT-450 and lugging it around.

I've been comparing the FT-817ND and the FT-857D.  There is some price difference, and obviously the 857 has 100 watts and more filtering vs. the 5 watt, small footprint, minimal filtering of the 817.  So, I turned my radio down to 5 watts and I've been making contacts.  So far, the reports have been good.  I was feeling all proud of myself until a net control op told me that my audio was what was punching me through.  I got to thinking about it.  My 450 base station mic is set to high gain and is a good quality mic.  The 817 would probably need the add-on to get up to that point, if at all.

Anyway, contacts have been made with my 40m OCF.  At 40m, it resonates as a 1/2 wave dipole.  At 20m, it has a bit stronger wavelength.  So, all things being equal, am I truly getting an accurate QRP experience?  Or, based on the OCF, superior mic of the 450, and quality base rig, am I just getting the QRP experience, or just a watered down output?  I guess to truly understand this one, I'll have to take my portable antennas out and set up my Jackite pole, turn my mic down to normal gain, and see how things turn out.

That said, the 817 is one darned cute radio, capable of small storage space, low battery drain, and it can run on lower power than the 857.  Oh well...I guess trial and error will be helpful.  Hopefully, some of you will reply with your own comments.

73,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment