About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little piece of the cyberworld. I am an Amateur Extra Class ham radio operator from Kentucky. In addition to ham radio, other interests include paddling kayaks and canoes, camping, flyfishing, shooting and photography...I am a major Jimmy Buffett fan (fans are known as Parrotheads). But, location, work and finances sort of got in the way of being a beach bum as a career. I am also an animal lover and have several pets. I also have a Facebook page at steve.kj4kki.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vacation and Portable Antennas

Edited on July 30, 2011.  I originally blogged this as ideas for vacation antennas and portable ops with my FT-450.  Since then, I've made some purchases which alter my original plans a bit...not much.

First of all, I ordered a Balun Designs QRP balun with wing nut side posts.  I plan on making several lengths of antennas with ring end connectors for different quick change bands.  Add 50 feet of RG-8X coax for portable use.  Then, while I was in the mood, I ordered an EndFedz 20m antenna.  EndFedz has mono or dual band, but can be horizontal, vertical, L or sloper and only needs one tie-off point.  I chose the 100 watt 20m over the 10/20/40 model because if the location is poor and band conditions aren't good, that extra 75 watts might come in handy.  That is a 6 dB difference.  I also considered the 20/40 combo, but the extra $40 was spent on other accessories, and 20m is the best band overall.

If no trees are handy, I also worked on my painter pole.  The heavy duty one sits in an RV satellite dish tripod.  I added an 8 foot lighter, aluminum pole on top of that, with a pvc "T" in the middle for them to slide into.  This makes the total height 22 feet high.  I've worked northern Europe at 13-15 feet.  *Addendum: I got another painter pole and am going to try to attach them together.  That will give me 33 feet if it will stay up with guys and not fall over.

For the final touch, I got a second power supply.  I have a big and heavy linear for home use.  I got a smaller and light weight Jetstream JTPS28, which will fit in a satchel or pack nicely.

This combination of ways to rig an antenna and run portable isn't quite as fancy as a Buddipole or Buddistick, but it was much cheaper and once the antennas are cut to resonance, there isn't any of that tapping coils.

No comments:

Post a Comment