About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little piece of the cyberworld. I am an Amateur Extra Class ham radio operator from Kentucky. In addition to ham radio, other interests include paddling kayaks and canoes, camping, flyfishing, shooting and photography...I am a major Jimmy Buffett fan (fans are known as Parrotheads). But, location, work and finances sort of got in the way of being a beach bum as a career. I am also an animal lover and have several pets. I also have a Facebook page at steve.kj4kki.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Special Event Stations & Thoughts for the Day

Well, I tried today to contact station N4S in Florida.  It's a special event station that commemorates the last launch of the space shuttle.  I think they'll be on the air until Thursday around 14.274-75 MHz.  I tried and tried, but with the kilowatt boys and beams, the pileup was terrible.  It makes us 100 watt stations with inverted vee antennas at 15-20 feet seem like we're throwing a cup of water into a swimming pool.

The 3rd week of August will be Lighthouse Weekend.  I think that is really big in the Europe.  I probably won't be able to get any contacts, but I will give it a try.

Quoting directly from Amateur Radio Newsline: HAM HAPPENINGS:  ILLW THE WEEKEND OF AUGUST 20 – 21

With only a few weeks to go to the International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend, a total of 290 entries have been received but many more expected before the event.

So far this year 13 Lightships are entered mainly from Belgium, England, Germany and the USA. There's also one each in the Netherlands, Sweden and Wales.  For those not aware, lightships are a rarer breed of the long-gone era of magnified flashes a light used by ships as they navigated along the coast and around the world.

Since 1998 the 48 hour, third weekend in August event has attracted more than 440 entrants, from some 50 nations.  This year the dates are August 20th and the 21st.  More information is on the World Wide Web at illw.net.  (VK3PC)

I've gotten some nice QSL cards in the last week.  S51ZZ sent me one from Slovenia, and I got one from The Netherlands, from PD5DB.  NK7U sent me one from Oregon.  I've been on FM for a while, but I'm fairly new to HF.  His was the first ever DX QSO I made outside of Field Day.  I was looking at my list of contacts and I really need to sit down and start writing out cards.  I got some IRCs from the post office recently.  Sadly, a card from Prince Edward Island, Canada and 2 stations from Museum Ships Weekend haven't sent me their cards.  The Canadian station even requested $1 USD.  I did get some cool cards from the USS Cavalla and USS Stewart from Galveston, TX.  The dual contact was made through an operator in the radio room of the WW2 sub, the Cavalla.  That was really cool.

That's my thoughts for today.  If you know of any special events, please let me know through a post or email.

73,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment